Self care has become a bit of a buzz word. Sometimes a word becoming ‘trendy’ can take away from the importance of the word. But self care IS important and becomes increasingly important the busier we are and the more we are going through. There are always plenty of things that you have to do or that are ‘more important’ to do, but without looking after yourself you wont be able to complete these things to the best of your ability.
There are a few things which can make self care disappear, if not completely from our routine, far more than it should. New baby, new job, starting a business, moving house, depression … the list goes on. But these are the times self care becomes even more important. Times when your body and mind are under stress. At these times you need to look after yourself more. And you know this is what you would tell your friends and loves ones too.
Write a list of seven things that you enjoy, or relax you or that you would do if you didn’t have the 110 other things you needed to do. And either pick one thing a day to do for 30-60 minutes, or minimise each thing to the shortest time possible and do that each day. Or if you are really struggling to find time do one thing a day. We have written a list below, just to get you started.
So here are a few ways to add a little self care into your routine even when you ‘don’t have time’
- Breathing – when you wake up and before you go to sleep take 3 minutes to concentrate on slowly breathing in and out and concentrating on nothing except that breath.
2. 3 minute beauty routine – not just what you do to get out of the house, but 5 mins to do something a little more. For example, if you have stopped using mascara even though you still love it, let yourself have that time to do it, even if it is just once a week.
3. 5 minute yoga routines. Pick your favourite and if you don’t have time to do a whole hour just do 5 minutes of that move.
4. 3 minutes with your favourite song. Music has been repeatedly proven to have an affect on moods. And we love it. Pick your time and your song and listen to that tune!
5. 10 pages of your favourite book. Who isn’t relaxed when reading Austen? Or pick up the latest best seller, even if you don’t have time to read much, read ten minutes a day.
6. Make a cup of your favourite hot beverage and really enjoy it.
7. 10minute walk. Somewhere you love and somewhere you feel relaxed. Look around you and breathe in the fresh air.
They are only little things, but they are important in that you are taking that moment for yourself. We have only done short times. To fit in while the baby is sleeping, or when you have turned your laptop off or while unpacking boxes. But all can be extended. And if none of these things fit, write a list of the things that relax you